Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Our Spider

This is a spider that has built it's web outside my oldest son's bedroom. It's outside so I can enjoy this one ... I don't want to touch it and if it started crawling toward me it would be one of those rare times that I run, but outside ... it's okay. : )


This spider is called Black and Yellow Argiope - my youngest made me look it up on the internet ... otherwise we'd all just be clueless as to what it's real name would be.  That big white spot is a cricket that my 2nd youngest found & threw into the web.

The zig zag line through the web is from a male spider of the same species. The female makes a regular web and then the male (who is much smaller will build the zig zag web over the female's web). It was very interesting to learn about ... and this wasn't a part of our school day! Isn't it great to be able to learn everywhere!?! : )


Here are some links if you'd like to look up more information about this spider (parents please remember to check websites before allowing children on them! I didn't run into anything bad, but you just never know.)

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/black_and_yellow_argiope.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_(spider)
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Argiope_aurantia.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-24_spider_blackandyellow_argiope.htm


I think we'll do a lapbook on spiders now. I believe I have 1 or 2 somewhere in my files! : ) HOAC has one & I'm pretty sure I have that one. We'll have to get started on that! Good time of year for a lapbook on spiders too ... close to Halloween! : ) If you'd like to put together a lapbook on spiders you can get one from HOAC (Hands of a Child) HERE

I don't know of any free spider lapbooks, but if I run across any I'll be sure to let you know.

One last picture of our spider & I'll let you be ; )



Isn't she amazing! : )  Just stay outside & we'll love you from a safe distance. : )




No comments:

Post a Comment